TheraCal LC from BISCO Dental Products is used for direct and indirect pulp capping and as a protective liner under composites, amalgams, cements, and other base materials. The light-cured, resin-modified calcium silicate filled material is an alternative to calcium hydroxide, glass ionomer, RMGI, IRM/ZOE, and other restorative materials.
TheraCal LC exhibits several properties to help maintain ideal hard-tissue health and to reduce the incidence of postoperative sensitivity. Its calcium release stimulates hydroxyapatite and secondary dentin bridge formation1-3 while creating a seal that protects4 and insulates the pulp5. Additionally, TheraCal LC has an alkaline pH to encourage healing.1,2,4
TheraCal LC is opaque white to help mask stained dentin and radiopaque for easy follow-up monitoring. Its proprietary formulation allows for a command set with a light-curing unit while maintaining ease of placement because of thixotropic properties. The light-cured set permits immediate placement of the restorative material. A creamy, spreadable consistency facilitates placement, making TheraCal LC easy to manipulate without running or slumping when undisturbed.
TheraCal LC is only available from BISCO Dental Products. To order, call (800) 247-3368 or visit bisco.com/theracal-lc-/.
- Gandolfi MG, Siboni F, Prati C. Chemical–physical properties of TheraCal, a novel lightcurable MTA-like material for pulp capping. Int Endod J. 2012;45(6):571-9.
- ADA definitions for direct and indirect pulp capping at ada.org/en/publications/cdt/glossary-of-dental-clinical-and-administrative-ter.
- Gandolfi MG, Siboni F, Taddei P, et al. Apatite-forming ability of TheraCal Pulp-Capping Material. J Dent Res. 2011;90 (Spec Iss A):abstract number 2520.
- Sangwan P, Sangwan A, Duhan J, et al. Tertiary dentinogenesis with calcium hydroxide: a review of proposed mechanisms. Int Endod J. 2013;46(1):3-19.
- Savas S, Botsali MS, Kucukyilmaz E, et al. Evaluation of temperature changes in the pulp chamber during polymerization of light-cured pulp capping materials by using a VALO LED light curing unit at different curing distances. Dent Mater J. 2014;33(6):764-9.