The ADEAGies Foundation has announced the winners of its 2019 William J. Gies Awards for Vision, Innovation and Achievement. Named for the “Father of Contemporary Dental Education and Research,” William J. Gies, PhD, the Gies Awards honor individuals and organizations that exemplify the highest standards in oral health and dental education, research, and leadership.
“There are great things happening in academic dentistry throughout the United States and Canada, but we don’t always take time to recognize that,” said Richard W. Valachovic, DMD, MPH, president and CEO of the American Dental Education Association (ADEA). “The Gies Awards is a wonderful reminder of our colleagues’ innovative work in dental education and how they are improving the lives of the individuals we are committed to serve.”
The nine honorees were chosen by a panel of industry experts, including the ADEAGies Foundation Board of Trustees. The recipients include:
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Section of Oral Health: Gies Award for Achievement—Public or Private Partner
- Association of Canadian Faculties of Dentistry: Gies Award for Innovation—Public or Private Partner
- East Carolina University School of Dental Medicine: Gies Award for Innovation—Academic Dental Institution
- Lynn Johnson, PhD, University of Michigan School of Dentistry: Gies Award for Innovation—Dental Educator
- McGill University Faculty of Dentistry: Gies Award for Vision—Academic Dental Institution
- James E. Mulvihill, DMD: Gies Award for Achievement—Dental Educator
- Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine and College of Osteopathic Medicine: Gies Award for Innovation—Academic Dental Institution
- University of Michigan School of Dentistry: Gies Award for Achievement—Academic Dental Institution
- Alexandre Rezende Vieira, DDS, MS, PhD, University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine: Gies Award for Vision—Dental Educator
The 2019 Gies Awards will be presented on March 18, 2019, in tandem with the 2019 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition in Chicago.