Protecting and Repairing the Oral Cavity

oral cavity, Curaden, curaprox,

Curaden
0 Shares

oral cavity, Curaden, curaprox,

On average, humans produce more than one liter of saliva every day and thus naturally ensure that the mouth, or oral cavity, is pleasantly moistened. Nevertheless, dry mouth is an annoying phenomenon that is particularly common in the cold season – for example, due to heated indoor rooms.

We are all familiar with dry mouth, often in the morning after waking up, for example during excitement, under stress – or it is a side effect of medication. Our saliva is 99.4 percent water, with the remaining 0.6 percent being minerals, proteins and enzymes, all of which play an important role in protecting and repairing the oral cavity.

Saliva is essential for maintaining good oral and dental health, as it protects tooth enamel and dentin, preventing tooth decay and periodontal disease. A regular flow of saliva is an indicator of good health.

Saliva and healthy teeth

Probably the most important function of saliva is its rinsing function. When it flows through the mouth, it rinses away food residues, bacteria and dead cells of the oral mucosa. The rinsing of food residues is particularly important for oral health, as these residues often contain starch and other carbohydrates. They are broken down into sugars if they are not removed.

This can lead to the formation of caries. Saliva acts as a kind of buffer between the demineralization and remineralization that takes place in the mouth. The enzymes in saliva can effectively fight unwanted bacteria, fungi and viruses. Hardly any saliva flows during sleep, allowing bacteria and viruses to multiply unhindered.

That is why it is important to promote remineralization by brushing teeth with toothpaste at least once every 24 hours.

The natural balance in the mouth

Many toothpastes contain aggressive cleaning and foaming agents such as sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). SLS can attack the oral mucosa and cause cells to die. Its degreasing effect can also cause dry mouth.

This disturbs the natural balance in the mouth and can lead to irritation and aphthae (mouth ulcers). That is why it is important to use a toothpaste that does not contain SLS and is enriched with natural enzymes and to be concerned about good oral hygiene on a daily basis.

About Curaden and Curaprox

Curaden develops oral hygiene instruments that are as gentle and effective as possible in collaboration with experts from research, education and practice. Curaprox is the oral health brand of Curaden AG, based in Kriens, Switzerland.

curaden.com/curaprox.com