The Delta Dental Community Care Foundation is giving $2.5 million to 39 food banks across 15 states and Washington, DC.
“As a result of the pandemic, food insecurity rates and reliance on food banks are skyrocketing like never before,” said Kenzie Ferguson, vice president for foundation and corporate social responsibility for Delta Dental of California and its affiliates.
“Fighting food insecurity is not only the right thing to do for our communities during these trying times, but it also aligns with our mission to promote oral health,” said Ferguson.
Dental caries has been linked to food insecurity, which is a disruption in food intake or eating patterns due to a lack of resources, in numerous studies, according to the Foundation.
Delta Dental of California and its affiliates, through the Foundation, employee support, and corporate giving, have strengthened food banks across its enterprise states for years, the company said.
As the economic crisis caused by the pandemic continues, the company continued, it became clear it was time to increase that support exponentially.
Food banks receiving funding include:
- Community Food Bank of Central Alabama in Birmingham, Alabama
- Montgomery Area Food Bank in Montgomery, Alabama
- San Diego Food Bank in San Diego, California
- Second Harvest Food Bank in San Jose, California
- Central California Food Bank in Fresno, California
- Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano in Fairfield, California
- Second Harvest Food Bank of San Joaquin and Stanislaus in Manteca, California
- Food for People in Eureka, California
- FoodLink for Tulare County in Exeter, California
- Community Action Agency of Butte County, Inc. in Chico, California
- Merced County Food Bank in Merced, California
- Imperial County Food Bank in Imperial, California
- Food Bank of Southern California in Long Beach, California
- Los Angeles Regional Food Bank in Los Angeles, California
- Food Bank of Delaware in Wilmington, Delaware
- Feeding Northeast Florida in Jacksonville, Florida
- Feeding South Florida in Miami, Florida
- Feeding Tampa Bay in Tampa, Florida
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida in Orlando, Florida
- Atlanta Community Food Bank in Atlanta, Georgia
- Feeding the Valley in Columbus, Georgia
- Second Harvest Food Bank in New Orleans, Louisiana
- Maryland Food Bank in Baltimore, Maryland
- Mississippi Food Network in Jackson, Mississippi
- Billings Food Bank in Billings, Montana
- Citymeals on Wheels in New York City, New York
- Three Square Food Bank in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Food Bank of Northern Nevada in Reno, Nevada
- Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Philabundance in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Central Pennsylvania Food Bank in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- Houston Food Bank in Houston, Texas
- North Texas Food Bank in Dallas, Texas
- San Antonio Food Bank in San Antonio, Texas
- Central Texas Food Bank in Austin, Texas
- El Pasoans Fighting Hunger Food Bank in El Paso, Texas
- Utah Food Bank in Salt Lake City, Utah
- Capital Area Food Bank in Washington, DC
- Mountaineer Food Bank in Charleston, West Virginia
This announcement comes on the heels of the Foundation’s award of $11 million in grants in response to COVID-19, including $1 million for food banks and Meals on Wheels programs. Support amid the pandemic from the Delta Dental Community Care Foundation totals nearly $15 million to date across Delta Dental of California’s 15-state and Washington, DC, enterprise.