The ADEAGies Foundation has announced the recipients of its 2021 William J. Gies Awards for Vision, Innovation, and Achievement. Named after William J. Gies, PhD, the awards honor individuals and organizations that exemplify the highest standards in oral health and dental education, research, and leadership.
“Through their extraordinary contributions, our Gies Awardees are moving the needle forward in dental education and oral health,” said Marsha Pyle, DDS, MEd, president of the ADEAGies Foundation. “The Gies Awards honor future-ready initiatives that advance dental education and elevate the dental profession.”
The eight honorees were chosen by a distinguished panel of industry experts, the ADEAGies Foundation said, including its Board of Trustees. This year’s recipients include:
- Gies Award for Vision—Dental Educator: Mert Aksu, DDS, JD, MHSA
- Gies Award for Achievement—Public or Private Partner: California Dental Association
- Gies Award for Innovation—Dental Educator: M. Franklin Dolwick, DMD, PhD
- Gies Award for Achievement—Academic Dental Institution: University of Toronto Faculty of Dentistry
- Gies Award for Achievement—Dental Educator: Paul Gates, DDS, MBA
- Gies Award for Achievement—Dental Educator: Irvin Silverstein, DDS, MSc, Ed
- Gies Award for Vision—Academic Dental Institution: Texas A&M College of Dentistry
- Gies Award for Achievement—Dental Educator: Mary Williard, DDS
The 2021 Gies Awards will be presented on March 12, 2021, in tandem with the virtual 2021 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition.