Tara L. Aghaloo, DDS, MD, PhD, an oral and maxillofacial surgeon from the UCLA School of Dentistry, was elected president during the Academy of Osseointegration (AO) Virtual Annual Meeting.
Aghaloo is assistant dean of clinical research and professor in the Section of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in the Division of Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences at the UCLA School of Dentistry as well as director of its Clinical Research Center.
As AO’s 35th president, Aghaloo will succeed Dr. Clark M. Stanford, distinguished professor and dean of the College of Dentistry at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
“In the coming year, I would like to see us getting back to normal, but obviously with a new sense of normal. We have really seen what it is like to be a community of like-minded professionals and have connected on so many new levels never thought possible,” Aghaloo said.
“I want to continue and strengthen the benefit of this connection with all of our long-term and new AO members. Most of all, I want to be able to look all of you in person and let you know how much we value your support and membership. Let’s use this community we have strengthened through 2021 into a new 2022,” she said.
The AO also elected:
- President-elect: AO Fellow Amerian D. Sones, DMD, MS, prosthodontist, Dallas, Texas
- Vice president: AO Fellow Hom-Lay Wang, DDS, MSD, PhD, periodontist, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Secretary: AO Fellow Robert C. Vogel, DDS, general practitioner, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
- Treasurer: AO Fellow Joerg Neugebauer, DDS, PhD, oral surgeon, Landsberg am Lech, Germany
- Immediate past president: AO Fellow Clark M. Stanford, DDS, PhD, MHA, prosthodontist, Chicago
The AO Board of Directors now includes:
- AO Fellow Joseph YK Kan, DDS, MS, prosthodontist, Loma Linda, California
- AO Fellow Joseph P. Fiorellini, DMD, DMSc, periodontist, Philadelphia
- AO Fellow Jeffrey Ganeles, DMD, periodontist, Boca Raton, Florida
- Robert R. Lemke, DDS, MD, oral and maxillofacial surgeon, San Antonio, Texas
- AO Fellow Lambert J. Stumpel, DDS, general practitioner, San Francisco
- AO Fellow Stephen L. Jacobs, BDS, general practitioner, Glasgow, United Kingdom
As part of its annual business meeting, the AO board of directors also elected Fellow Stephen L. Jacobs, BDS, to be secretary and Fellow Robert C. Vogel, DDS, as secretary.