The Minnesota Dental Association (MDA) will hold its inaugural Oral Health Summit on Friday, October 5, 2018, at the North Metro Event Center in Shoreview from 7:30 am to 1 pm. Health industry leaders and subject matter experts will be on hand to discuss key issues related to oral health, dentistry, and public health.
The free event will include breakfast, a keynote address, educational presentations, and a panel discussion. Speakers and panelists will discuss a variety of topics including dental economics and trends, collaborative dental hygiene, varying practice models, Medicare oral health benefits, and PGY1 as a pathway to licensure. Confirmed speakers include:
- Keynote Emily Piper, Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS): During her tenure, Piper has worked to strengthen services for the 12,000 vulnerable Minnesotans who receive care in state-operated facilities each year. She has renewed focus on reducing disparities for people who use DHS services and has worked to improve service delivery.
- Colleen M. Brickle, RDH, dean of health sciences, Normandale Community College: Brickle advocates for the underserved with the goal of a future in which those who need it most receive the care they are entitled to. She also promotes innovation and curricular changes through public policy initiatives and advocacy efforts.
- Elisa M. Chavez, DDS, associate professor, Department of Diagnostic Sciences, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry: With a track record of practicing dentistry, directing clinics, and developing an extramural student rotation on the west coast, Chavez is a passionate advocate for the oral health needs of seniors nationwide.
- Davis S. Gesko, DDS, senior vice president and dental director, HealthParners: Serving on several national organizations focused on improving quality in oral health, Gesko is passionate about integrating medical and dental care and applying evidence-based research to care delivery. He also is a member of the Minnesota Board of Dentistry.
- Randy Gullickson, shareholder, Anthony Ostlund Baer & Louwagie: Having represented dentists and group dental practices across the country, Gullickson has a professional interest in legal and business issues related to dentistry. He also has closely followed regulatory and legal developments regarding dental service organizations and their interactions with dental groups.
- Kamyar Nasseh, PhD, health economist, ADA: With articles published in Health Affairs, Health Services Research, Health Economics, Medical Care, The American Journal of Public Health, and the Journal of the ADA, Nasseh’s research focuses on healthcare economics, dental economics, and econometrics.
- Bruce Seidberg, DDS, JD, chief of dentistry, Crouse Hospital, Syracuse, NY: Throughout his career, Seidberg has been active with various dental organizations and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Endodontics. He has had chapters published in several legal and dental texts and papers published in a number of professional journals.
- Todd Thierer, DDS, MPH, associate dental director, HealthPartners: Thierer has lectured locally and nationally on a variety of topics including patient safety, dental education, treatment of medically compromised patients, treatment of phobic patients, and decision analysis.
“The Minnesota Dental Association is excited to welcome an experienced panel of speakers to discuss current trends and issues regarding oral health,” said Carmelo Cinqueonce, executive director of the MDA. “We are proud to offer this free educational event and to feature such highly reputed professionals from the field of dentistry and other supporting professions.”