The Organization for Safety, Asepsis and Prevention (OSAP), the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB), and the Dental Advancement through Learning and Education (DALE) Foundation have published the OSAP-DANB-DALE Foundation Code of Professional Conduct for the Dental Infection Control Education and Certification initiative established by these organizations.
All participants in OSAP-DALE Foundation education and OSAP-DANB certification programs must abide by the Code of Professional Conduct and are expected to maintain high standards of ethics and excellence in all areas of professional endeavor. The code focuses on seven areas:
- Individual autonomy of and respect for others
- The health and well-being of others
- Fair treatment of others
- Duty and responsibility to the profession, community, and society
- Duty and responsibility to OSAP, DANB, and the DALE Foundation
The OSAP, DANB, and Dale Foundation Dental Infection Control Education and Certification initiative includes an educational certificate program and two professional certifications:
- OSAP-DALE Foundation Dental Infection Prevention and Control Certificate Program
- OSAP-DANB Certified in Dental Infection Prevention and Control (CDIPC)
- OSAP-DANB Dental Industry Specialist in Infection Prevention and Control (DISIPC)
The initiative also includes ongoing development of new continuing education modules:
- COVID-19 Respiratory Droplet and Aerosol Protection
- General Aspects of Instrument Processing
- Understanding CDC’s Summary of Infection Prevention Practices in Dental Settings
The OSAP-DALE Foundation Certificate Program launched in March 2020. OSAP and DANB will begin pretesting qualified CDIPC and DISPC exam candidates in summer 2021.
“The OSAP-DANB-DALE Foundation Code of Professional Conduct is an essential element of our joint education and certification initiative, developed to promote quality and ethical practice and advance safety in the workplace,” said DANB and DALE Foundation executive director Cynthia C. Durley, MEd, MBA.
Additionally, because the OSAP-DANB CDIPC and DISIPC certification programs offer the first infection control certifications for the dental industry and professions, the OSAP-DANB-DALE Foundation Code of Professional Conduct serves to unify and elevate the healthcare professionals who will earn these professional distinctions, the groups said.
“The dental infection control professional is a critical occupation that has gained prominence, particularly in light of COVID-19 precautions. This Code of Professional Conduct not only distinguishes this career path, but also outlines the ethical expectations of those who perform this work that is so essential to patient and provider safety,” said OSAP executive director Michelle Lee, CPC.