Written by Dentistry Today Thursday, 11 October 2012 10:44
CHICAGO, Oct. 10, 2012 –The American Dental Association (ADA) continues to honor state and local dental societies across the nation with the 2012 Golden Apple Awards. The Golden Apple Awards program, now in its 24th year, recognizes outstanding achievement in dental society activities and excellence in leadership.
The 2012 Golden Apple Awards will be presented through the end of the year to the following societies:
- Legislative Achievement –The Michigan Dental Association "Grassroots Development Program," received the award in the constituent society category with a total membership of more than 1,000 dentists.
- Excellence in Membership Recruitment and Retention Activity –The Michigan Dental Association, "Nonmember Five Pillars Campaign," received the award for membership recruitment. The North Carolina Dental Society "Ambassador Program" received the award for membership recruitment and retention.
- Excellence in Dental Health Promotion to the Public - The Massachusetts Dental Society's "Shining a Spotlight on Oral Health" received the award in the constituent society category. The Seventh District Dental Society (Steuben County, NY), "Rock Your Smile with Rock and Bowl" received the award in the component society category with less than 1,000 members.
- Excellence in Member-Related Services/Benefits – The California Dental Association received the award for a dental society with total membership fewer than 1,000 dentists for "Guide for the New Dentist."
- Outstanding Achievement in the Promotion of Dental Ethics – The Texas Dental Association, "Dental Ethics: The Strength of our Profession."
- Achievement in Dental School/Student Involvement in Organized Dentistry – The Maryland State Dental Association, "Every Step of the Way."
- Excellence in Science Fair Program Support and Promotion – The Washington State Dental Society and the Kitsap County Dental Society received the award for "Promoting a Science Fair."
- Open Category – The North Carolina Dental Society, "Membership Focused Gazette" received the award in the constituent category. The Greater Houston Dental Society, "Media Relations Committee" received the award in the component category.
- Excellence in Access to Dental Care Programs – The North Carolina Dental Society received the award for their "MOM Program" in the constituent category. The Nassau County (NY) Dental Society received the award in the component category with less than 1,000 dentists.
- The Green Apple – Excellence in Environmentally Sustainable Programs and Education - The North Carolina Dental Society received the award for "It's Not Easy Being Green."
- Outstanding Achievement in the Promotion of Diversity and Inclusion – In the constituent category, the Maryland State Dental Association received the award for "Wine, Women and Song." In the component category, the San Antonio District Dental Society received the award for "Diversity in Dentistry Celebration."
- Inspiring Careers in Dental Education – Dr. Paul J. Berson from the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine received the award.
Editor's Note: Reporters are invited to follow ADA media relations on https://twitter.com/ADAmediapr
About the American Dental Association
The not-for-profit ADA is the nation's largest dental association, representing 157,000 dentist members. The premier source of oral health information, the ADA has advocated for the public's health and promoted the art and science of dentistry since 1859. The ADA's state-of-the-art research facilities develop and test dental products and materials that have advanced the practice of dentistry and made the patient experience more positive. The ADA Seal of Acceptance long has been a valuable and respected guide to consumer dental care products. The monthly The Journal of the American Dental Association (JADA) is the ADA's flagship publication and the best-read scientific journal in dentistry. For more information about the ADA, visit www.ada.org. For more information on oral health, including prevention, care and treatment of dental disease, visit the ADA's consumer website www.MouthHealthy.org.