Written by Dentistry Today Tuesday, 01 March 2011 12:26
WASHINGTON, D.C.—The American Dental Education Association (ADEA) will recognize the contributions of many dental educators, researchers, and students at the 2011 ADEA Annual Session & Exhibition in San Diego, Calif., March 12-16.
A complete listing of all awards follows.
Pamela Zarkowski, J.D., M.P.H., is the recipient of the ADEA Distinguished Service Award. Given by the ADEA Board of Directors, this award recognizes significant contributions to education, research, and ADEA.
ADEA President Sandra C. Andrieu, M.Ed., Ph.D., will honor nine leaders with Presidential Citations for their service to ADEA. They are:
- Carol A. Aschenbrener, M.D., Executive Vice President, Association of American Medical Colleges
- Susan J. Crim, RDH, M.S.Ed., Ph.D., Associate Professor and Dental Hygiene Department Chair, University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Dentistry
- Denise A. Davis, Dr.P.H., M.P.A., Program Officer, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Elise S. Eisenberg, D.D.S., M.A., Senior Director of Informatics and Clinical Professor, New York University College of Dentistry
- John R. Gallo, III, D.D.S., M.S., Assistant Dean of Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor, Louisiana State University School of Dentistry
- Lily T. Garcia, D.D.S., M.S., FACP, Chair of the Department of Prosthodontics and Director of the Division of Advanced Education and External Affairs in the Department of
- Comprehensive Dentistry, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Dental School
- James D. Harrison, D.D.S., M.Sc., M.A., Clinical Professor, Louisiana State University School of Dentistry
- Marilyn S. Lantz, D.M.D., Ph.D., M.S.D., Professor of Periodontics and Oral Medicine, University of Michigan School of Dentistry
- Todd E. Thierer, D.D.S., M.P.H., Associate Professor in the University of Rochester Eastman Dental Center and Director of the General Practice Residency Training Program at the University of Rochester Medical Center
ADEA, in association with the Alpha Omega International Dental Fraternity, will name Lillian M. Mitchell, D.D.S, the recipient of the ADEA/Alpha Omega Foundation/Leonard Abrams Scholar in the ADEA Leadership Institute. Dr. Mitchell is the Director of Fixed Prosthodontics at the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry.
The ADEA/International Federation of Dental Educators and Associations Orna Shanley Prize will be presented to the University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry. Kenneth S. Coy, D.D.S., M.Ed., Associate Dean for Academic and Administrative Affairs, will accept the award.
The ADEA/Colgate-Palmolive Co./National Dental Association Jeanne C. Sinkford Scholar in the ADEA Leadership Institute will be presented to H. Eugene Brooks, D.D.S, M.B.A., Assistant Professor and Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion, University of Colorado Denver School of Dental Medicine.
The ADEA/Colgate-Palmolive Co. Excellence in Teaching Award will be given to Bob Hutchins, Ph.D., M.B.A., Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Sciences, Baylor College of Dentistry.
The ADEA/Colgate-Palmolive Co. Allied Dental Educator Fellowship will be awarded to Suzanne K. Farrar, RDH, MSHCM, Associate Professor in the Division of Administration, Department of Comprehensive Dentistry and Biomaterials and Director of Clinical Staff and Patient Services, Louisiana State University School of Dentistry.
The ADEA/William J. Gies Foundation Education Fellowship will be awarded to Elise S. Eisenberg, D.D.S, M.A., Senior Director of Informatics and Clinical Professor, New York University College of Dentistry.
The ADEA/ADEA Council of Students, Residents, and Fellows/Colgate-Palmolive Co. Junior Faculty Award will be presented to Berna Saglik, D.D.S., Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Biologic and Materials Sciences and Prosthodontics at University of Michigan School of Dentistry.
The Olav Alvares Awards for Outstanding Articles Published in the Journal of Dental Education will be presented to:
- Amber N. Callis, D.D.S., M.S., Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Dental Brach
- Othman Shibly, D.D.S., M.S., Assistant Professor, Department of Periodontics and Endodontics, University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
- Karin Weber-Gasparoni, D.D.S., M.S., Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Iowa College of Dentistry
The ADEA/Crest Oral-B Scholarship for Dental Hygiene Students Pursuing Academic Careers will be given to Deborah K. Osborn from College of Southern Nevada and Cynthia L. Stull from the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry.
The ADEA/Sigma Phi Alpha Linda DeVore Scholarship will be given to Deborah K. Osborn from the College of Southern Nevada.
The ADEA Thomas F. Nowlin Award for Best Performance by a Section will be presented to the ADEA Section on Biochemistry, Nutrition, and Microbiology.
The ADEA/Zimmer Dental Implant Education Teaching Award will be presented to the University of Illinois at Chicago. Rand F. Harlow, D.D.S., will accept the award. Dr. Harlow is Clinical Assistant Professor and Director of Predoctoral Implant Education. He is also a University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry alumnus.
The ADEA/Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Products Preventive Dentistry Scholarships will be given to the following predoctoral students:
- Stephanie M. Acevedo, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
- Cherissa W. Chong, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
- Alexis L. Cohen, New York University College of Dentistry
- Shannon M. Hayashibara, University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry
- Stona R. Jackson, University of Washington School of Dentistry
- Lauren M. Katzel, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
- Victoria M. Lucas-Perry, University of Michigan School of Dentistry
- Brian T. Luong, Harvard School of Dental Medicine
- Kaitlin J. Poppe, University of Washington School of Dentistry
- Jennifer L. Senge, University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
- Matthew S. Silverstein, University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
- Jake A. Weissman, University of Washington School of Dentistry